To purchase a firearm in California, you will need the following:

First of all, look at the upper right hand  corner of the front of your California Drivers License / California ID Card

  1. If you have the REAL ID (Golden Bear Picture) or the older ID with nothing in the upper right hand corner you are good to go.
  2. If you have the words “Federal Limits Apply” then you will need to bring a U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card or a Birth Certificate with you to even take the Firearms Safety Certificate Test or start your registration for a purchased firearm.

 The Firearm Safety Certificate/Card 

      1. You can take the test here in our store.
      2. The fee for the test is $25.
      3. It is a 30 question test, takes typically 15-20 minutes to complete, and you must answer 23 correct to pass..
      4. The FSC Card is good for 5 years.
      5. You can Google "CA FSC STUDY" and it will be the top listing if you want to study for it.

 For a Long Rifle (Shotgun, Rifle):

  1. A Valid California Drivers License or California ID.
  2. A Firearm Safety Certificate/Card or a Valid California Hunting License (signed and not expired)

For a Hand gun its a little more involved:

  1. A valid California Drivers License or California ID preferably with your current address on it, but not required, see below.
  2. A valid Firearm Safety Certificate/Card.
  3. Second Proof or Residence. (one of the following if your drivers license has the correct address)
    1. A current California Vehicle Registration (has to be current and the purchase date has to be within the  dates at the top of the registration.
      1. If your Drivers License address is not correct, but the one on your registration is, then you are covered. If neither is valid you need to do a DMV change of address online, we will show you in the store how to do it.
    2. Public Utility Bill with YOUR name on it from a utility that is :attached” to your house.
      1. SMUD, PG&E, Roseville Electric, Water, Garbage, Sewer, Cable/Internet bill, Propane bill are some examples.
    3. Current and signed lease agreement (signed by you and the landlord) can be for a specific time period or month-to-month, but must be current and signed (and match your California Drivers License).
    4. Current Year County Property Tax Bill.

** We cannot start the 10 day wait without the firearm serial number and the firearm must be onsite to register. The DOJ has a minimum of 10 days, but up to 30 days to approve or deny the DROS request. 

Non US Citizen on a Non-Immigrant Visa

A non-U.S. citizen firearm purchaser must provide an Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) issued alien registration number or I94 admission number to the dealer for verification of the purchaser’s legal status in the U.S. and eligibility to purchase/possess firearms. The following is required:

1. Possess a valid California Driver’s License (Federal Limits Apply on your license is ok, the I94 form covers that)

2. Possess a valid California Hunting License (required to purchase any firearm) and requires the completion of the Hunters Safety Course. Note: date of purchase must be withing the vailidty dates of the license.

3. Take and pass the Firearm Safety Certificate test and obtain a Firearm Safety Card (required to purchase a handgun). The test is administered here at our store.

4. The Proofs of residence requirements are the same as for US Citizens above.

As always, if you have questions, please reach out to us at